Established in 1872, the Arnold Arboretum is open daily to the public as a free landscape for the study and enjoyment of trees, shrubs, and vines. As North America’s first public arboretum and a National Historic Landmark, it is owned by the City of Boston and managed by Harvard University under a 1,000-year lease signed in 1882. Today, the Arboretum is both a beautiful landscape of mature plants and a site for vital scientific research, much of which is done on site at the newly opened research center at Weld Hill.
Originally designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Charles Sprague Sargent, the Arboretum’s 281 acres include meadows, forest, and ponds that create a naturalized setting for plants collected from around the globe. Its living collection of more than 15,000 plants is one of the largest and best documented in the world.
Peters Hill, the highest point in the Emerald Necklace, provides a glorious view of the Boston skyline. The Arboretum also has a visitor center, changing art exhibitions, and a horticultural library in the Hunnewell Building at the Arborway Gate.