Employment opportunities for youth in Boston’s historic parks
The Green Team Summer Program combines park maintenance, nature connection, environmental education, team building and work skills development into a unique program. During the six-week intensive program 30 youth crew members meet for a total of 25 hours each week. Summer Green Team Program applicants must be Boston residents and between the ages of 15-18 years old.
The Green Team crew members work outdoors performing duties such as invasive plant removal, weeding and plant bed maintenance. Hands-on nature connection and environmental education activities are woven into the program in order to build an awareness and understanding of natural systems. In order to further enhance environmental learning and understanding, crew members participate in a day of canoeing and a nature connection overnight experience. Crew members are divided into three groups of ten and learn and work under the guidance of two crew leaders.
City of Boston’s Department of Youth Engagement and Employment Information
- Applicants must be a resident Boston and be between the ages of 15-18
- Applicants must be registered with the Department of Youth Engagement and Employment in order to participate
- To register go to SucessLink
- Registration is between early February through March 2019 through SuccessLink
- Once you have registered through SuccessLink, you must complete the Green Team Application and return it, along with a letter of recommendation, to Kent Jackson, Education & Volunteer Coordinator. It can be mailed to the Emerald Necklace Conservancy, 125 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115 or emailed to email@example.com. If you have questions, contact Kent by phone at 617.522.2700, ext. 203.
- Applications are reviewed on a first come, first served basis.
The Conservancy partners with USDA Forest Service on the Green Team Program.
Emerald Necklace Conservancy Youth programs are generously supported by Cummings Foundation, The Manton Foundation, Charlotte Foundation, Bank of America Charitable Foundation, Hamilton Companies Charitable Foundation, Jane B. Cook 1992 Charitable Trust, Red Sox Foundation and The Paul & Edith Babson Foundation.